20 October 2008

That Email

hey, L. havin' any luck keepin' me off northern lights?

You know that email. The one forwarded to you by every family member you’ve ever heard of and their podiatrist. The one titled “Six Consequences the Coalition Has Identified if Proposition 8 Fails.” It seeks to provide logical reasons why no sane person would allow for gay marriage.

Today wasn’t Christmas but I did awake today to find the internet had brought me the best gift I’d received in years: a rebuttal to “Six Consequences” written by a BYU Law School professor. This isn’t your average rebuttal. This is a rebuttal so razor-sharp it will slice the very air molecules between your eyes and the screen.

You can read it here.

I’ve always held to this tenant: You can believe what ever you want but your arguments need a rock-solid foundation. If I see foundational weakness I’ll tear it down. Or, as that PDF demonstrates, a BYU professor will do it for me.

I realize*, of course, there are other arguments than the six presented in that email. I only wish to point out the inherent fragility of the arguments used in this campaign. Arguments built on fear, exaggerated consequence, and flat-out fabrication.

And this isn’t just a weak foundation! The whole structure built upon it is thin and wafer-like. It’s an entire house built out of frickin’ graham crackers.

*In civilized society a learned person will use the “z” (or “zed” to the heathen) if the need to be taken seriously should arise.

+++

good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mP3FqUUAAw

5 comments:

Craig said...

Oh what? It's not "arize" as well?

I hope that you realise that you are a cheeky bastard.

playasinmar said...

The cheekyiezt.

Kengo Biddles said...

Thanks for posting this.

cj said...

This was the best thing I have read in a long time. And it is so refreshing that it came from a member of the church, from BYU no less. Perhaps there is hope after all.

And as a Canadian, I am outraged at you referring to everbody in the English speaking world except the United States as heathen, though not surprised. Everyone else knows that it is properly pronounced "zed." ;)

playasinmar said...

Everyone? I thought it was just you Northern Mexicans.

HA!